Get a professional LinkedIn photo
A picture says a thousand words
A professional photo is a critical component of your LinkedIn profile.
Your photo makes you immediately recognisable and more approachable. It also provides a personal and human element to your profile.
According to LinkedIn, having a photo makes your LinkedIn profile seven times more likely to be viewed by others.
However, not just any photo will do. Use the wrong type of photo and you could actually be doing more harm than good.
Social Check Recommends:
1. If you are taking your own picture, follow some basic rules
- Take a head shot: Your profile photo space is limited, so it should only reveal your head, neck and shoulders. If you include your entire body, users may not be able to recognise you.
- Have a photo that is in context with your industry: LinkedIn is a professional services and employment focused platform. Choose a style of photo that is in line with the values of your industry and/or organisation. Have a look at how other people in a similar field present themselves. So if you are in a creative industry how you might present yourself my be quite different to say working in an accounting or law firm.
- Simple is best: Your photo should be of you and only you. Do not include anyone or anything else. Avoid busy backgrounds, instead stand against a solid-colored, light background.
- Use a recent photo: Don’t use an old photo. A current photo is best so you can be recognised immediately when meeting someone.
2. Remember, consistency is key
To develop a strong professional online brand, consider using your professional photo across all of your professional and social networking platforms.
3. Use a professional if you can
It is actually cheaper than you might think to get a professional photographer to take some portrait shots. Given this photo is going to be a key element in making that critical first impression and that it can be reused across all your social accounts, you might like to use a professional photographer.
How to Change Your LinkedIn Profile Photo
If you would like to learn more, Social Check recommends visiting:
LinkedIn Help Guide
Want to stand out professionally online? Social Check’s LinkedIn profile authoring service can help. Click here to find out more
You look like someone who recognises the importance of developing a strong online presence. Social Check™ ensures that your personal online brand is strong and working for you in a positive way.
The first step is to get your Social Check™ Report.Get my Report