Social media has made it easier for us to find, connect, and interact with people in our industries. It provides numerous opportunities for us to grow our network, and can help us get that job easier.
1. Be active in growing your network: Don’t just stand in your virtual corner; go up to people, introduce yourself, and start a conversation. Be active on your social networks, and build relationships with people.
2. Join conversations on Twitter: Tweet chats are an excellent way to meet people in your industry, and get up-to-date information. The beauty of Tweet chats is that everyone starts out as a stranger, but overtime will get to know each other really well. Check Twitter chat lists and find a chat that is right for you.
3. Participate in LinkedIn groups: LinkedIn groups are a great way to boost your professional reputation and show off your expertise. They allow you to answer questions, give advice, and share your knowledge. So, reach out to others and connect with them.
4. Share insights from an event: After attending an industry event, share your notes with people in your network. This can be done in real time on Twitter, by tweeting your notes during the event. Make sure you use the right hashtag for the event, to ensure others find you easier. Alternatively, you can share your notes on your company’s website.
5. Remember your goal: You’re trying to build a network of people in your industry. Don’t get sidetracked and post things that are off-topic. Stay on track.