To position yourself as a professional thought leader online, you not only need to be an expert in your field of expertise but you also need to proactively establish yourself as one. These six tips are a great starting point:
1. Think about what you are posting and who will be reading it: Do you want to showcase your expertise, build your network, become a thought leader or perhaps be discovered and hired? Whatever the reason, know your audience and consider what they want to hear about, or, what they don’t know about, that you think they should know.
2. Only author high quality posts and be sure to mix it up: Your posts are your main source of credibility. Ensure your followers don’t lose interest by varying your material, whether it be a blog, video or image and speaking to a variety of topics, all within your area of expertise.
3. Take your time when publishing content: Be sure to review and edit your work to ensure their are no spelling and Grammar errors that could impact your reputation.
4. Consider posting on multiple platforms: This shows that you are able to be versatile and this also ensures that you are able to reach a wider audience.
5. Create a social media plan and stick to it: Decide whether you will be posting once per day or per week, and commenting in between. Find a routine and stick to it and you will find out who your main followers are, because they will be on the look out for you when you post.
6. Engage with your followers: Be sure to participate in your post activity and respond to any questions raised. This will show that you have a genuine interest in what you are talking about and communicating with your followers.
This is not something that happens overnight, but with a little work and a good routine, you will find yourself to be a successful online thought leader in no time!