You’ve heard all about LinkedIn; it’s great for networking, displaying your skills, and finding work. But where do you start? It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the amount of sections to complete on LinkedIn, and not know where to begin. Here are some tips to help you get started on LinkedIn for the new year.
1. Have a complete profile: It’s important to have a complete profile on LinkedIn. Your profile strength is measured from 0-100%, and the higher this percentage is, the greater your chances are of appearing in search-engine results.
Make sure your profile includes:
- A professional photo
- A customised URL
- An up-to-date place of work
- A summary of yourself
- A list of job achievements
- Your skills
2. Make connections: Your network on LinkedIn is important, and incredibly useful. A great starting point is to find people you know and connect with them. If you don’t know the person well, it’s polite to include a custom message when sending your connection request.
3. Join groups: LinkedIn Groups are great places to network, job hunt, and learn new things and share your knowledge. Have a look at the many active groups on LinkedIn, and find one relating to your industry. Don’t be afraid to join a group and network.
4. Follow companies: Staying up to date with companies, in your industry, will alert you to new opportunities and increase your chances of getting the job you want. The more you interact with them, by sharing their content, commenting on their latest events, the greater chance you stand of getting noticed.
Many companies have pages on LinkedIn, with information about themselves, including a list of employees and an overview of their business. Their updates will appear on your LinkedIn homepage once you follow them.
5. Get recommended: LinkedIn Recommendations are very valuable to employers as it acts as a reference of you. Start by recommending someone else, who you believe is worth recommending; this will increase your chances of being recommended in return.
So, don’t delay. Get started on LinkedIn this new year, and be one step closer to getting your dream job.